Many people hesitate to speak up about nursing home abuse or neglect concerns. They either do not trust their own instincts, wonder if their loved one is "making things up" or are not sure how to challenge nurses and health care administrators who seem like authorities on the patient's care.
The truth is, the best thing you can do for your loved one is to be present and actively participate in their nursing home care. You know the patient better than nurses and doctors do. You can bring up important health care issues and should feel comfortable asking them questions about the quality of care your loved one is receiving.
At Healy Scanlon Law Firm, we can help ensure your and your loved one's voices are heard when they are the victim of nursing home abuse or neglect. You don't have to just let this happen. Contact our office in Chicago today for a free initial consultation.
Make Sure Your Loved One Receives Proper Care
If you are suspicious of neglect at a nursing home or adult care facility, make sure you gain an understanding of operations and what your loved one is facing. Some valuable questions to ask are:
- What is the ratio of nurses to patients on any given shift? How many patients does one nurse have to take care of?
- What is the process for training new nursing staff? How will they get to know my mother/father/loved one and what he or she specifically needs?
- What is the process for bringing up concerns about my loved one's care? Do I file a formal complaint? Will a social worker get involved?
- How do you ensure that my loved one gets the proper medication or attention according to his or her illness/disability? How do you not get these medical details confused between patients?
- How do you make sure you are hiring properly educated and responsible individuals? Do you conduct a thorough background check?
Schedule A Free Consultation
We can walk you through the process of bringing a nursing home abuse or neglect claim against a care facility. This is an important area of personal injury law for us. We firmly believe everyone deserves proper care and respect, and we are here to make sure your loved ones receive it. Contact our office today at 312-324-0409 or send us an email.