When first meeting with your Chicago personal injury attorney, it is essential to come prepared. Arriving to the meeting with all necessary documents enables your lawyer to assess your case. It also saves you the added hassle and expense of having to return for an additional meeting with your injury law firm.
Sorting through the paperwork
Personal injury cases involve a great deal of documentation. Every aspect of your accident and injury anywhere in the state—must be documented and shared with your attorney. If you are unable to locate a requested document, your attorney can often help retrieve it. Consulting with your personal injury lawyer ahead of time helps ensure you bring what is needed.
Timing is crucial
Documenting the details of your injury should ideally begin as soon as possible after the accident. It is important to make notes about how the accident happened and who was involved while the memories are still fresh in your mind. It is also crucial to seek timely medical attention and obtain documents that outline the full extent of your accident and injuries. In addition, keep a record of all expenses related to the accident, including medical bills and lost wages. Continue to keep records and document the progression of your injury, as injuries can change and worsen over time.
Helpful documents for a Chicago injury case
For a complete list of the documents required for your initial meeting, it is best to contact one of our Chicago injury attorneys directly. Key documents often include:
- Police or accident reports
- A personally written account of the accident, damages, and subsequent treatment
- Photographs or physical evidence related to the accident or injury
- A list with contact information for the people, companies, and witnesses involved in the accident
- Insurance policy details as well as any correspondence with the insurance company regarding your claim
- Medical bills, reports, and records
- Estimated current and future financial losses including medical bills, ongoing treatment, property damage, and lost wages
The Healy Law Firm — fighting for the rights of personal injury victims in Chicago
The Healy Law Firm has built a reputation as one of Chicago’s top personal injury firms. With a solid grasp of Chicago, IL injury law and a history of success, we fight to protect your rights and see that justice is served. To talk to one of our Chicago injury lawyers, call The Healy Law Firm toll free at 800-787-5431 or contact us online to schedule your free initial consultation.