Martin Healy Jr.
Past President, Illinois Trial Lawyers Association
Member, Board of Governors and Past Member Executive Committee, AAJ, formerly ATLA
Past Chair, Products Liability Section, AAJ
Past Chair, Illinois Supreme Court Rules Committee
Top Ten Illinois Plaintiff's Personal Injury Attorneys, Leading Lawyers
Martin Healy, Jr. has pushed the limits of fair recovery for clients. In a recent calendar year, he had three multi-million dollar jury verdicts. Each was a record verdict, and resulted in a total of over $50 million.
Martin Healy, Jr. is an experienced and dedicated advocate for injured clients in a career that has included obtaining numerous multi-million dollar jury verdicts and settlements, some in the tens of millions of dollars. As lead counsel, he personally has obtained 14 multi-million dollar jury verdicts that range from $3 million to $25 million and total $150 million. They involve a number of very different areas including products liability, interstate trucking, construction, medical malpractice, transportation and police procedure cases.
Martin Healy, Jr. is a graduate of St. Ignatius College Preparatory School where he received the Award of Excellence in Law, the University of Notre Dame and Loyola University School of Law where he was Associate Editor of the Law Review and received a full academic scholarship.
He began his legal career as a Law Clerk for the Supreme Court of Illinois. Later, he served as Counsel, Illinois House of Representatives, Associate, James A. Dooley & Associates, and General Counsel and First Assistant Corporation Counsel, City of Chicago. He is a Past President of the Illinois Trial Lawyers Association and he has been certified as a Civil Trial Advocate by the National Board of Trial Advocacy.
He has lectured and written extensively for numerous Bar Associations, including the Association of Trial Lawyers of America (ATLA), now the American Association for Justice (AAJ), the Illinois Trial Lawyers Association (ITLA), the Illinois State Bar Association (ISBA), the Chicago Bar Association (CBA) and the Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education.
He authored with John Scanlon and Matthew Healy an article in Trial, the national publication of the AAJ, in its products liability issue, entitled "Uneasy Rider" involving products liability claims against motorcycle manufacturers. Mr. Healy has completed his term as Chair of the 1700 member Products Liability Section of AAJ.
Mr. Healy is currently a member of the Board of Governors of AAJ and ITLA and has served on the Executive Committee of both AAJ and ITLA. He is currently Chair of the Motorcycle Litigation Group, Past Chair of the Truck Underride Litigation Group, member of the Board of Directors of the Interstate Trucking Litigation Group of AAJ and on the National Advisory Board of the Association of Plaintiff Interstate Trucking Lawyers of America (APITLA). He was also Chair, Tort Law Section Council, ISBA and Chair, Tort Litigation Committee, CBA.
He was voted one of the top ten plaintiff’s personal injury lawyers in Illinois by Leading Lawyers. He was also recently inducted as a Fellow into the International Academy of Trial Lawyers, an invitation only group of elite trial lawyers, limited to five hundred throughout the United Stated and includes lawyers from thirty countries. Most recently, he received an award for the Largest Verdict in Will County from the Jury Verdict Reporter and was voted in the US Irish Legal 100, a select group of 100 accomplished attorneys nationwide.
He is a past Chair, Illinois Supreme Court Rules Committee appointed by the Supreme Court for a three year term. He is a past member of the Supreme Court Committee on Pattern Jury Instructions and a former Commissioner of the Supreme Court Committee on Character and Fitness. He has finished his term as President of the Board of Governors, Loyola University School of Law.
Mr. Healy has been active civically as Director of the Sauganash Community Association and Queen of All Saints School. The son of immigrant parents from Ireland, Mr. Healy is very active in the Irish Community and Irish organizations including the Irish Fellowship Club of Chicago (President), Irish American Heritage Center (Chairman, Library Fundraising Committee), Celtic Legal Society (President) and the St. Patrick's Day Parade Committee (Annual Dinner Chair and Board of Directors). Martin Healy and other members of The Healy Scanlon Law Firm write a monthly column for the Irish American News, "Healy Law" covering legal topics of interest.
Areas of Practice
- Motor Vehicle Accidents
- Personal Injury
- Intersectional Collisions Chapter Proving Fault in Auto Cases, Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education, 2004
- Sunshine in Litigation Legislation: Boon or Bane?, Illinois Bar Journal – Vol. 92, March, 2004
- A Trial Lawyer’s Introduction to SUV Rollover Claims, Illinois Bar Journal, Vol. 89, December, 2001
- Silent Killer on the Highway, Trial ATLA, August, 2000
- The Scope of Discovery is Significantly Enlarged, 55 Illinois Bar Journal 530
- A Voyage of Discovery, Trial Journal, ITLA, Spring, 1999
- "Effective and Compelling Demonstrative Evidence: From the Simplest to Cutting Edge", American Association for Justice, 2009
- "Sometimes Overlooked Claims: Defective Tractor Trailers", Association of Interstate Trucking Lawyers of America, 2008 - Present
- "A Fatal Stall: Shastri v. Chrysler", AIEG, 2007
- "Vehicular Defects: Autos, Trucks, Jet Skis and Motorcycles", Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, 2007
- "Litigating Truck Underride Cases", American Association for Justice, 2006
- "Products Liability – How to Handle These Complex Cases from the Initial Investigation through Closing Arguments", Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, 2006
- "Crashworthiness Doctrine as Applied to Truck Underride Cases", American Association for Justice, 2004 - Present
- "Products Liability Issues Involving On-Road and Off-Road Motorcycles", American Association for Justice, 2004
- "Hot Topics in Products Liability: Premarin/Prempo, Welding Rods, Recreational Vehicles", Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, 2004
- "Vehicle Defects: Airbag & Rollover Claims", Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, 2002
- "Hearsay Evidence", Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, 2001
- "Illinois Supreme Court Rule 213 Update", Northwest Bar Association, 2000
- "Closing Argument", Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, 1999
- "Litigation Involving Traumatic Brain Injury", DePaul University, Chicago, 1998
- "The Winning Plaintiff's Case In Chief in Medical Malpractice Cases", Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, 1997
- "Using Demonstrative Evidence in Proving Damages", Chicago Bar Association, 1997
- "Medical Negligence Update", Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, 1997
- Successful Techniques in Winning Vehicle Accident Cases - "New Developments & Trends You Must Understand", Illinois Continuing Legal Education, 1996
- "Effective Cross Examination", Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, 1996
- "Expert Testimony in a Products Case", Chicago Bar Association, 1991
- "Automobile Products Liability", Chicago Bar Association, 1990
- "Overview of Motorcycle Litigation", American Association for Justice, 2008
- "Useful Rules/Applying Rules to Interstate Trucking Cases", American Association for Justice, 2008
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Association for Justice, Chair
- Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, Past President
- American Association for Justice, Member, Board of Governors and Executive Committee
- Illinois Supreme Court Rules Committee, Immediate Past Chair